Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy

Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy
Fabulous long lasting cut flowers. Grow them in a pot outdoors in summer and bring it in for flowers all winter long.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Things are blooming!

It is amazing how fast a week can go by. Last Thursday at the Garden Club meeting, Lily from Lily's Greenhouses showed us how to make a moss planter. I could not believe what she sells them for! Needless to say, I had to try my hand at it myself, since I have tons of plants to play with.
I had coir basket liners, so thought I'd try them. it is very tricky getting plants through holes cut in the coir, and I see a few of my plants are a little the worse for wear after poking through the coir.

Ryan looked after everything while I attended a fitness leader workshop all weekend and everything survived, I am glad to report.


It helps when the weather does not get stupid!

Yesterday I spent 6 hours transplanting tomatoes and arranging things in the greenhouse so I could put more out there. I really need about double the space - but what's a person to do? Everything is getting leggy because I can't get enough light to it.

The Livingston Daisies are still growing like mad. I thought I'd have blooms by now at the rate they were going, but not a one yet. Unlike the lovely Lemon Drop marigolds, which were started way later and are looking fabulous.
The geraniums are looking fantastic too. They have been in the greenhouse for a while and had a bit of a tough time with some of the hot days. All in all though, they are coming along nicely.

This is the first year I have tried grasses (one seed at a time when I have almost two acres of lawn already?) and they seem to be doing well. I was able to restrain myself and just started a few plants. I hope they get big enough to be something worth looking at by the time summer comes.
So these are for you, Mom, who is constantly telling me I should plant some grasses. Both the Blue Fescue and the Pink Pampas grass are doing well.

1 comment:

  1. Since gardeners named Ann should stick together, I wanted you to know that my gardening blog has a similar name. It is called Ann's Air Gardens. I hope you will visit, but now I must go figure out out to subscribe to your "Ann's Garden" which is just awesome. So glad I stumbled across it!

    ReplyDelete

Contact me

If you would like me to reserve something for you, or have a question or comment, click to send me an email.