Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy

Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy
Fabulous long lasting cut flowers. Grow them in a pot outdoors in summer and bring it in for flowers all winter long.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oh Grow Up!

Transplant, transplant, transplant. You see, many seeds can be started in a small container. I like the wonderful little plastic takeout containers from Safeway - black bottom to retain heat and an attached clear plastic top. Perfect!
Starting in small containers prevents empty cells from ungerminated seed and saves quite a lot of space. Once they get their first true leaves, then I can transplant them into 6-cell packs and bigger trays. I don't like to put them into anything too big, because, well, I have a lot of different plants, and space does run out as the spring progresses. So even though some things will eventually be in 4" pots, I am in no hurry to get them into the bigger pots, because I can fit 72 plants in a 10" by 20" tray in the little 6-cell packs, but the same plants will fill 4 trays by the time they are in their final pots. So I spend a lot of time moving plants up to bigger containers as they become rootbound or need more space so the leaves aren't crowded. I would hate to get some disease because my plants are too cramped, and it is hard to water them too when they are crowded.
So the geraniums that at one time fit nicely into one tray are now taking up six trays, 36 plants to the tray. Yep, I have plenty of geraniums, but a hundred of them are already spoken for.
Geraniums are a very satisfying thing to grow. Shortly after sprouting, the send out the most darling little scalloped leaves. The plants are sturdy and grow quickly. They are very tender to frosts, but can be kept indoors over the winter and will bloom constantly if they have enough light and water. That is if you remember to bring them in before the first hard frost. Sigh. I had quite a few nice varieties I was planning to keep. Once the days start to get longer, cuttings taken from the newly vigorous shoots will root easily and make many new little plants.
All my geraniums are from seed this year, but I hope to be more vigilant this fall and get my plants into the house in time so I can start cuttings next year. Already planning spring 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact me

If you would like me to reserve something for you, or have a question or comment, click to send me an email.