Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy

Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy
Fabulous long lasting cut flowers. Grow them in a pot outdoors in summer and bring it in for flowers all winter long.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring - NOT!

It is definately spring - the days go from summer-like to winter-like in hours.
The Ruby Moon Hyacinth Beans are doing wonderfully. I wonder if I started them too soon? Last year, nothing germinated in a timely fashion. This year, everything is germinating in the shortest possible time.


So I panicked, and if it said, "Takes 5 - 21 days to germinate" I assumed it would take the 21 days. Heck, some stuff even germinated in less time than the package said.

And my petunias do not seem to be able to make up their mind what colour they want to be. Can you tell the difference in the colour between these two? In real life, the top one is definately more red. It is a little difficult because they were taken under different lighting conditions.

I guess that's the chance you take when you save your own seeds. At least if the germination rate is only 20% you are not out a lot of money, but you have no idea what kind of flower you will end up with next season.

But I don't think I started the petunias too soon, because they are doing fantastic and I can tell what colour the blooms are! Bonus.

The marigolds on the other hand, especially the crackerjack, will have to be repotted soon because they are almost a foot tall. And the zinnias. More soil. I think I have gone through enough soil, peat moss and vermiculite to fill the back of a 1/2 ton truck so far this spring. On the plus side, with all these plants in the house, the air must be super oxygenated and the humidity level should be good for my skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact me

If you would like me to reserve something for you, or have a question or comment, click to send me an email.