Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy

Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy
Fabulous long lasting cut flowers. Grow them in a pot outdoors in summer and bring it in for flowers all winter long.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Guaranteed to make me smile

All babies are cute (except birds) and although this in no way compares to a newborn baby, it certainly puts a smile on my face to see a plant poking its way into the daylight.

I like to plant scarlet runner beans to climb over the arch on my bench on the patio, and indeed I do have seeds for them again this year. But I was intrigued by the Hyacinth Bean packet, with its pretty pink blooms and deep purple-red bean pods.

I wonder if the hummingbirds like them as much as the scarlet runner beans? It is such a treat to watch them flit from flower to flower, and just as much fun to watch the cat watch the bird.

While the scarlet runner beans are supposed to grow to about 10', according to the packet the hyacinth beans are supposed to climb to a height of 15'. Quite a feat from these humble beginnings in my seed flat.

The blooms are supposed to be fragrant too, so that should make them attractive to the birds, I'd think. I bet they'd look nice intertwined wtih my moon flowers. That's another vine I am quite excited about.

Moon Flowers (ipomoea) are a member of the morning glory family with great big white blooms that open at night and close up by noon the next day. They too are supposed to fill the night air with fragrance and almost glow with white luminescence in the moonlight. Unfortunately, I have limited places I can plant climbing vines, so I will only be needing a few of the 16 hyacinth beans and 15 moon flowers I have planted. Maybe I am counting my chickens too soon though. The moon flowers are not up yet!

Big excitement yesterday - I saw black soil peeking through the west garden! Surely planting is just around the corner....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact me

If you would like me to reserve something for you, or have a question or comment, click to send me an email.