Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy

Featured Flower - Gerbera Daisy
Fabulous long lasting cut flowers. Grow them in a pot outdoors in summer and bring it in for flowers all winter long.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Out they go!

Or is that in? Outside, into the greenhouse. You decide.


After two successful nights (I did not kill anything) in the greenhouse, I decided to put some more plants out there.


The strange thing is, even though I have all these plants in the greenhouse, there are still all these in the house. And more in the bedroom yet.


Some things are blooming - I don't know if you can pick out the lovely Lemon Drop marigolds in the greenhouse picture. I have one Red Brocade blooming too.
You can just make out the splash of colour amongst the greenery.

What you can't see are the hanging baskets I have started in the house. There are three hanging in the sunshine. What a lot of soil it takes to fill the big ones! I have a 16" one with a coir (coconut fibre) liner planted with white wave petunias and the purple convolvulus. I'd like to do more, but I don't have the soil yet. See that really big leaf in the centre of the picture? That is a butternut squash started from seeds I saved from an organic one Ryan bought. (I pay attention and don't generally buy organic stuff - tests have proved the benefits are negligible of organic over the regular stuff. Depending on the food, of course.)

My Powder Puff Asters have sprouted, as have my African Marigolds. I started some Ruby Moon Hyacinth Beans, Scarlet Flax and Moon Flower on the weekend and am impatiently waiting for them to sprout. My second batch of nicotinia are up, just wish I knew what colour they are! I guess we'll see when they bloom. And last but not least, I picked up more Salpiglosis seeds yesterday and got them in the soil. So exciting. How long till the snow is gone?

I am truly blessed to have a husband who says "What nice flowers," not "Where in God's name do you think we are going to find a place to plant that?", when I bring home yet another seed packet. Despite 4 acres of land, we really only have a few good spots for flowers, so most end up in planters or rows among the vegetables. And since we spend a considerable time weeding and watering out there, it is nice to have them to look at.
Here is our 1 acre garden spot in June '07.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact me

If you would like me to reserve something for you, or have a question or comment, click to send me an email.